Guidelines For Yard Debris Disposal
One 60-gallon roll cart per week is part of your normal residential service. Make sure to have it at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on pickup day to guarantee the pickup. Yard debris should fit in the cart loosely with the lid closed and must fall freely when dumped. For the safety of our drivers, please have all limbs cut or trimmed so that they do not stick out above the rim of the cart or can. Use the roll cart we provided first, cans or bags can be used for extra set outs for an additional fee.
Weight limits for yard debris are provided below. Please keep in mind that wet grass is very heavy and half of a bag, can or cart of grass will put you at the weight limit.
|30-gallon Kraft bag||45 lbs.|
|32-gallon can||60 lbs.|
|60-gallon cart||120 lbs.|
- Grass clippings
- Debris from vegetable and flower gardens, including pumpkins
- Tree and shrub prunings less than 4 inches in diameter
- Plastic bags or other plastics
- Animal waste
- Stumps or large limbs
- Food waste
Extra yard debris disposal ($3.00 each):
- Cans up to 32-gallons in size
- Kraft-paper yard debris bags – Please try to avoid putting wet debris at the bottom of the bag. Keep bags in a dry location until pickup day to prevent the bottom from falling out.
- Bundles no longer than 3 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter, tied with twine or string, not wire.
If you would like to use your own 32-gallon can for extra yard debris removal, please call us so we can provide you with a sticker to place on the side of the can. Make sure the sticker faces the street when you place your can out for collection. If you have large items or large amounts of yard debris, you can order a drop box from us or self-haul these to Allwood Recyclers at 23001 NE Marine Drive, Fairview 503-667-5497.
Placement of your Roll Carts
All services in Gresham have changed to automated service that is picked up by a truck with a mechanical collection arm, and proper placement is needed for the arm to function effectively. Please place your carts within 3 ft. of the curb and leave a space of 3 ft. between carts or mailboxes. Place carts 10 ft. from cars, basketball hoops, trees and other stationary objects, where possible.
Yard debris exemption
If you believe you don’t need yard debris collection services, you can apply for a yard debris exemption at 503-618-2515. Open enrollment is from April 1st to May 31st, or within 30 days of opening the account. Once approved for the exemption it will save you $2.85 per month.
Yard debris only service
One year subscription, paid in advance will include weekly collection of 1 60-gallon cart, $73.80 per year.
Recycling Christmas Trees
Residential customers with yard debris service may recycle their natural trees in place of the regular yard debris set out at no extra charge as long as the following guidelines are met:
- Trees or parts of trees cannot exceed 6 feet in length.
- Full trees should not be placed in the yard debris cart.
- Trees over 6 feet should be cut in half.
- Trees should be free of tinsel, lights, ornaments & plastic bags.
Other information related to tree recycling:
- Flocked trees are acceptable.
- If you’re unable to cut your tree in half, please contact us for tree recycling options.
- Natural wreaths and garlands can be recycled in your yard debris cart only if all frames, wire, tinsel, bows and ornaments are removed.
- If you are a residential customer without yard debris service, and would like your tree picked up, we can pick it up with advanced notice for a fee.
- If you would like your tree picked up by a nonprofit for a small fee, contact Metro at 503-234-3000 to find out who is picking up in your neighborhood.
- If a local organization, other than us, is collecting your tree, please schedule pickup on a day other than your yard debris collection day to avoid confusion.
- People living in large multifamily residences should contact their property manager to arrange for a drop box for tree collection service.